Friday, April 19, 2019

Penny Black Flower Card

Today, I'm sharing a card I made for Fond Memories Spring Workshop held last week.  


I really like how this card turned out!  All the stampers that I taught at the workshop enjoyed it, too! 

The stamp is from Penny Black, called "painters vase".  I stamped the vase with Versafine Clair Morning Mist ink on white cardstock.  I masked the top of vase so stems of flowers wouldn't stamp on it. Flowers are stamped with Versafine Clair Medieval Blue.  I really like all the Versafine Clair inks!  They stamp very crisp, especially nice for verses.  I like to use color for verses sometimes rather than black.  These are the inks I use. It's especially important for this card, that the ink didn't react to water brushed over it.  A water base dye ink will not work for this card.
  
Once the stamping was done, I painted a wash of Broken China Distress ink over background.  I  like to use Distress ink as a water color.   Next, I added Distress Seedless Preserves to the flower petals again as a watercolor.  Since the stamped petals have some white space, the color fills in there and adds a shadow of that color over stamped ink.  Distress Spiced Marmalade was used for flower centers.  I used a bit of all the colors on the vase!  These were quite diluted with water. I also added  a wash of Distress Hickory Smoke at base of vase and for shading on the vase. 
The verse from Penny Black "grateful heart" was stamped with Versafine Onyx Black (always a favorite of mine for verses!) It was clear heat embossed to give it a bit of shine and intensify the black. 
The stamped piece is layered onto dark purple and magenta mats and fastened to a white 5 x 7 inch card. 
All the Fond Memories stampers that I taught were impressed that this card was easier than they expected! 

In preparing this card for the workshop, I had stamped several of these when I was making samples and experimenting with colors.  I had a few left of my work table that were colored but not assembled as a card.  I also had an experimental embossed background piece with similar colors.  Ta da!  The colors were good together so I made another card with the two pieces.  


As you can see, I cut around the flowers, vase and verse. I cut off the bud that extended off the edge on the workshop card (as shown above).  The background is fastened to a purple 4 3/8 x 5 5/8 inch top fold card.  I know it's a bit odd sized!  That fit the embossed piece and still left a border of purple.  I popped the flowers and vase up with Thin 3D Foam Squares.

As for how I made the background, it started as glossy white paper.  I rubbed 3 colors of new Distress Archival inks over it - Dusty Concord, Faded Jeans and Mermaid Lagoon. I applied some color direct to paper and also used foam applicator to add color. The paper was a bit splotchy in places with darker purple in one area but that's not as obvious after embossing.  I embossed it with a Spellbinders folder called Grid.  After it was embossed, I took Distress Archival Black Soot ink pad and rubbed over the embossed pattern.  I really like it!  Kind of a stained glass effect.  This technique can be used with other embossing folders that have an open pattern.  


There you have 2 ways to use same image and colors to make 2 different cards.

Thanks to everyone who made the Fond Memories Workshop success! For anyone who doesn't know what Fond Memories is.....it's a store in Walnut Grove, Minnesota.  They sell stamps, scrapbook paper, cardstock, dies, inks and lots of supplies plus gifts and unique toys.  It's one of the few stamping stores still in existence in Minnesota!  They offer a stamping workshop every spring and fall with 10 projects, generally cards.  Each project usually features a new technique plus new products and unique designs.  It's a fun day of crafting!  If you are interested in attending, please call or email Fond Memories - fondmem@redred.com or 507-859-2929.  They are on Instagram as fondmem.  They  have a blog - Fond Memories at the Creamery
 and they are on Facebook as Fond Memories
They will ship stamps and supplies so if you see something on their blog or FB, give them a call. 

Thanks so much for visiting! 

Happy Creating!
Judy


Supplies: for Workshop Card: 

Penny Black 40-672 Painter’s Vase

Penny Black 30-467 Grateful Heart

Versafine Clair Medieval Blue Ink Pad

Versafine Clair Morning Mist Ink Pad

Versafine Onyx Black Ink Pad

Ranger Clear Embossing Powder

Distress Broken China Ink

Distress Seedless Preserves Ink

Distress Spiced Marmalade Ink

Distress Hickory Smoke Ink

White Cardstock (7 x 10ʺ, 4 x 5⅜ʺ)

Dark Magenta Cardstock

Purple Cardstock

Supplies for Embossed Card:
Same supplies as above except Dark Magenta Cardstock
Distress Archival Faded Jeans
Distress Archival Dusty Concord
Distress Archival Mermaid Lagoon
Distress Archival Black Soot
Spellbinders Grid Embossing  Folder
White Glossy cardstock
Purple Cardstock (card)
Thin 3D Foam Squares White

No comments: