Wednesday, February 17, 2021

Stencils and Watercolor Play

 Last week one evening, I tried watercolor with stencils. I laid out some stencils on watercolor paper and colored them with watercolors.  Pure experimentation!  


I used a large 9x12 stencil by Pam Carriker with a small piece of watercolor paper to get just a portion of this face.  This photo shows stencil in place after I washed on color.


Here's what it looked like after removing the stencil. I really like the face! 



I decided to play and just let go and color it with watercolor !  I like watercolor but I'm still learning how to use it.  Not sure where I'll go with this next.  I may add it to an art journal with more stamping and some collage....  


I also worked with this Icelandic church stencil by Tina Walker.


I controlled the watercolor more with this than the face so it wasn't so wet.  In this photo, stencil is in place, it's wet and set aside to dry.



After drying, it looked like this.  I really like all the detail that came through even with watercolor!



But then since I was playing, I added more watercolor above the church and washed light brown over the ground.  Now, looking at the photos, I prefer it as it looked after stencil and before I added more color.  Either way, I really like this stencil!

It was fun art experimenting!

Judy


 

No comments: