Saturday, October 30, 2010

A Masculine Touch

Wow, it's been a whole week since I posted!

I had good intentions except a whopper of a cold caught me on Monday.  By Wednesday, I had no energy.  Instead of creating, I slept or rested every night.  I'm still hacking off and on but feel much better.

I want to wish Artistic Outpost a Happy Anniversary They're celebrating their 3rd year of business this month!  WTG!  They also released a new stamp collection, Oz CollageCheck out their blog post or website for more details.

Today, I posted this card on the Artistic Outpost blog:


I needed a card for my DH this week so I put this together very quickly after work on his day!  With me being sick, he didn't get much attention.  I managed to make him a cake and this card. 

Card details......
I stamped the barn image from Artistic Outpost's Country Life using StazOn Midnight Blue on white card stock.  I added just a touch of color to the sky with Distress Stormy Sky and Brushed Corduroy to the silo and ground. 
I cut and embossed the frame using Spellbinders Labels One #5 for the outer edge and Labels Sixteen #4 for the inner edge.
To create the textured paper that I used for the frame, I started by crumpling a piece of Kraft paper ( the kind paper bags are made out of ) several times to give it lots of wrinkles.  Then I ran it through my Xyron to add adhesive.  I stuck it to a piece of card stock.  I used Kraft color but it could be anything as it doesn't show.
This photo shows the Kraft paper after running it through my Xyron.....lots of wrinkles.  Some of the wrinkles do flatten when cutting and embossing the Spellbinders die templates yet the texture remains.

I cut the frame from the wrinkly paper and added touches of Stormy Sky and Brushed Corduroy for color.  The ink helps accent the texture.
The barn image in adhered to the back of the frame, then both are raised with foam squares to mount on the card front.

To cut my card, I used Spellbinders Grand Calibur, the new die cutting machine, and Grand Labels One #3.  If you haven't seen these, check them out!  The Grand Calibur can accommodate 8 1/2" x 11" paper.  It's very easy to use and cuts super well!  The largest Grand Labels One cuts 6 3/4" wide!  Imagine that for scrapbooking!  And for cutting card shapes!!!

For my card, I cut a 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" piece of Kraft card stock and folded it in half...typical A2 card.  Then I positioned the Grand Labels One over the card so a curved edge was along the open side.  I used small pieces of tape to keep it in place when I ran it through the Grand Calibur.  To get texture on the card front, I embossed it with the die template in place and a piece of metal window screen placed over the card and die template. Tip: move any tape holding the Spellbinders die template to the back of the card. It will emboss! I learned this the hard way! I had to use a little more Distress ink in those spots!  To highlight the texture and add color, I rubbed Brushed Corduroy and a touch Stormy Sky over the card front
To finish the card, I added a piece of seam binding with "happy birthday" stamped across it with StazOn Midnight Blue using JustRite's new alphabet called Myriad Pro, 50 pt.  I tied a button to each end with some string tinted with Midnight Blue ink.  A tiny foam dot holds each button in place to stretch the greeting across the card.

This card could easily be created with a different color scheme and a different image. Coordinating cards and frames could be cut and set aside, just waiting for that last minute card!  Add a quick stamped image and the greeting....even the message could be stamped ahead! 

I hope I've brought a touch of inspiration to your day! 
Thanks for stopping!
smiles...
judy

3 comments:

Mary Jo said...

Judy I so enjoy each creation you make. It is an inspiration for me to want to try harder. Thank you

Elizabeth Allan said...

Great idea for a masculine card. Love all the details you incorporate. Those large dies are "grand". Another wish list item!

Kim said...

Love the idea of using one shape for the outer frame and another for the frame opening. It looks great!