Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A Treasure Box

I'm sharing a little trinket box today to which I added a pewter embossed top.

I started with an unfinished wooden box that I found at a craft store. I stained it black with ink from a black dye reinker........I was too lazy to go down to the basement to find some wood stain. It worked!

For the top, I cut a piece of chipboad slightly smaller than the box top. I used that to determine the size of the pewter. I drew the flower & verse on paper and traced it onto the metal. I embossed (raised up) the flower & debossed (dented in) the verse. Then I worked the other design elements around the verse until I was happy with it. A blackening solution darkened the verse & other debossed areas. With the proper tools, it's really easier than it looks.
If you want to see some amazing embossed metal art, check out the work of Magdalena at Mercart. She does amazing things! I met her at CHA a couple summers ago. I was drawn to her booth by all the wonderful tools she had displayed. We had a chance to chat and become friends. I later bought one of her books. Her techniques inspired me when I created this box top. I always stop at her booth whenever I get to CHA. She and her mother are wonderful people, incredible at their craft!

Remember.......treasure special moments spent with a friend.
Thanks to all of you, my friends, for visiting!

-judy


1 comment:

Jamie Martin said...

Wow, this is amazing, great job!