Saturday, June 9, 2012

A Diva Tote

Good Morning!
Today is my first post as a member of the Julianna C Hudgins Design Team!  Woohoo! A new team for me!  And Julianna's first Design Team!  I'm so honored to be part of this new venture!
This is what I created....



......a DIVA tote!

The goddess form and letters are cut from wool felt.  I used an iron-on adhesive on back of the felt.  That's what made it possible to cut the swirls.  Impossible for anything that narrow cut from felt to stay in one piece otherwise.  It worked beautifully!  I used the negative swirl, too!  It was really easy to iron them on to the goddess with the adhesive backing.  I also used Fabri-Tac to secure the goddess and letters more permanently. The iron-on adhesive simply didn't hold well on the burlap.  I've added a pleated trim to the top and bottom.  The skirt was fashioned out of shimmer organdy.  I added Swarovski crystals to each swirl and the letters.  I wish my photo showed the true sparkle!


I sewed the tote out of burlap and canvas coated with Gesso. I strongly suggest starting with a canvas tote from a craft store.  Much easier!  The bag is about 11 x 11 x 4".

Thanks for visiting! 

Until next time....happy creating!

-judy

Supplies:
Spellbinders LF-013 Jewel Goddess
Spellbinders LF-015 Jewel Alphabet
Wool Felt - black, salmon
Pleated Satin Trim - white
Shimmer Organdy fabric
Swarovski Crystals
Beacon Fabri-Tac
Beacon Gem-Tac
Iron-on Adhesive
Canvas Tote Bag
(Or sew a bag with burlap and canvas)

2 comments:

Margie Higuchi said...

You sewed a tote?! You really enjoy the torture, don't ya! LOL!!! Well, better you than me 'cuz I can't sew a stitch...well, maybe paper ;0P

LOVE LOVE LOVE this project, Judy!! So clever on the use of the Goddess.

Again, congrats on being on Jewel's first DT - so happy that you are a part of this :)

Elizabeth Allan said...

Fashionable and chic Judy!