Wednesday, August 18, 2010

New Artistic Outpost Sets: Peter Pan & Haunted Halloween

......are being released today!

Here's the details:

Neverland features images from the fairytale land that is home to Peter Pan. The Darling children are also featured with a lovely ATC sized collage of Wendy and a perfect flying illustration of John and Michael. Think of the scenes you create with these adorable kiddos including an intense conversation between Wendy and Peter. Don't ever grow up!!!


 
Haunted Halloween is a Victorian inspired collection with vintage
witch illustration a cane-swinging dapper skeleton, and a haunted home that could be used without the scary subtext. Other collage images include a bat border collage and sentiments.


More NEW stuff:

There's a new department at Artistic Outpost called Outpost Attic Findings.
Currently we are featuring some truly vintage style finding kits that include beautiful ribbons and trims.
In these kits, you will receive 1.5 yards of each color of hand dyed rayon vintage style seam binding as well as 2 yards each of the vintage style crocheted trim. Also included are a heaping scoop of vintage mother of pearl buttons perfect for embellishing your prized project.

Kits retail for $6.99.

You'll find all kinds of inspiration at the Artistic Outpost DT blogs.  Many of their projects will use the new trims! 

•Lisa Somerville
•Gerrie Johnnic
•Lynn Stevens
•Toni Tessler
Barbara Washington
•Connie Paxman
Stephanie Severin
 
I chose to work with the Haunted Halloween stamps for this release.  My favortie stamp is the house.....and the bats.  Okay, two favorites.  Then there's the Victorian Witch...I like her, too.  I have several favorites!  I had fun working with all the images!  I'm sharing my very favorite creation using this set, a wall hanging.  I really like how this turned out!  
 

I started with the house stamped in Espresso on white card stock.  It's a separate piece than the surrounding background.   I added all the colors with Cut n Dry Foam and Distress inks: Stormy Sky, Antique Linen, Vintage Photo,Wild Honey, Walnut Stain.

Then I went looking for a Spellbinders shape to use with it.  These Wonky Squares seemed perfect for a ghostly house! 
I cut the frame out of brown and red Core'dinations paper and embossed it over Fleur de Lis Impressabilities.  I sanded off some of the brown.  The red color wasn't quite what I wanted so I rubbed Distress Wild Honey over it.  Love the orange color!  
I then stamped the crow with Versafine Onyx Black and embossed him with clear EP.  I added gray to the highlights with Copic N0, N1, N3 and a touch of yellow to his feet and beak with YR18.  I decided right away that I wanted him on the top of the frame.
After trying several size options, I finally settled on 5" x 7".  That's when I decided to make it a hanging rather than a card.
I cut a piece of white card stock to cover my heavy chipboard backing.  I rubbed Antique Linen, Stormy Sky and Vintage Photo into the paper for my background.  I stamped the bats with Ranger Archival Jet Black ink.  I shifted the stamp in order to get the bats along both sides in a pattern that looked natural.  I even rolled the stamp in my hand in order to stamp just one little bat to fill in some areas.....advantage of cling mount stamps!

The scrolly pieces are cut out of very dark green Bazzill paper using Spellbinders Fanciful Holiday....a Christmas set.  I used each of the scrolly pieces in the set.  I glued the long piece along the bottom of the frame. I used one of the little pieces along the side.
"Happy Halloween" is stamped with Black Onyx and clear embossed on the back side of orange Bazzill. I hand cut it and the dark green mat. I used another scrolly piece around it.
Once I had all the pieces laid out, I decided to add another long scroll across the bottom.  I also added the little corner pieces.  Those are the cut-outs from the small scroll pieces. Such a great corner accent! 
I covered the back with DP.  I added a hanging cord of twisted pearl cotton. I used my drill to twist 2 pieces together, fold in half and let it twist together again....4 strands.  I used one of my cast off die cut pieces to cover the cord ends.

Hope you've enjoyed your visit.  Please check out all the other wonderful artwork created with Haunted Halloween and Peter Pan on the Design Team blogs
or in the Artistic Outpost Gallery.


Supplies:
Artistic Outpost Haunted Halloween
Spellbinders S4-289 Wonky Squares #5,7
Spellbinders S4-287 Fanciful Holiday
Distress Inks: Antique Linen, Vintage Photo,
Wild Honey,Stormy Sky, Walnut Stain
Versafine Black Onyx
Ranger Archival Jet Black
Ranger Espresso
Copic N0, N1, N3, YR18
Clear EP
White card stock
Heavy chipboard
Brown Pearl Cotton

13 comments:

Lynn Stevens said...

looks aesome Judy, like how its lighter in the center and love the framing!

Robyn Phelan Sharp said...

you know I love your work...but to see it broken down...just simply breathtaking!

SmilynStef said...

Thanks for the fabulous instructions and step-by-step pictures ... I really love how you did the bats along both sides ... what a fun piece.

slbt17 said...

very nice! Thanks for sneak peek behind the scenes.
Sandra

Lisa Somerville said...

Love the wall hanging - great home decor piece for Halloween!

Gerrie Johnnic said...

What a cool piece, and the wonkies worked perfectly!

BarbaraW said...

What a fantastic wall hanging. Thanks for showing the step-by-step. The colors are wonderful.

tonistamps said...

What a great art piece to hang! I love the layering and the shading...everything about this is awesome!

Judy Hayes said...

Thanks for all your comments! This was a fun project with great stamps!
smiles...

Christy Farneth-Kerr said...

Wow Judy This is great:)

Connie Fossenier said...

Now this rocks...the frame...colors everthing really warrants to be hung on a wall. Nice trick with the lighter center to add more light to the upstairs windows...
connie paxman

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love this piece!! I'm not "allowed" to buy any new stamps at the moment but you did inspire me to make a haunted house out of a farmhouse stamp I've had for a long time - thanks!

Pennystamper said...

I absolutely love this Judy. I love your style!