Thursday, July 4, 2013

Americana Bird

Happy Independence Day!

I'm enjoying a relaxing day at home!  It's wonderful!  And I took some time to play!  It's been a very long time since I created something purely for fun! 

In observance of the 4th of July, I put together this little Americana bird.......


I used Spellbinders® Media Mixage™ Birds One dies and Artisan X-plorer® to cut 2 birds from worn denim. Well worn denim that's thin-medium weight cuts quite well in the Artisan X-plorer.    I glued the edges together except for the tail, leaving about 3./4" opening near the bottom.  I stuffed it with a tiny bit of fiberfill and glued it closed. I cut 2 wings from some navy fabric with stars on it and 2 wings from red vinyl that I drew stripes on with a white Painters marker. I had to improvise because I couldn't find any red/white stripe fabric in my stash!  I glued the star wing over the stripe wing offset so the stripes would show. The wings are glued to each side of the bird with Fabri-Tac glue. Next, I cut some red and white string and glued it in the tail.  The eye is a dot of black paint added with a Painters marker.

The base is 2 layers of self-adhesive craft foam, 1 of cardboard and 1 of navy paper cut with Spellbinders Stars Five #2 (#1 being the smallest), .  The foam stars are adhered together and then the paper star is glued to the top. I punched a tiny hole in the center for the twisted wire.  I splayed the wire ends for support. The cardboard star is glued to the bottom over the wire ends.  To put the other end of  the wire in the bird, I used a needle tool to separate the seam a tiny bit and pushed the wire in.  Then I glued the tiny opening shut again.
The bird holds 3 stars dangling from strings.  The stars are cut using Spellbinders Stars Five #1. I cut 2 of each: red vinyl, natural canvas, worn denim.  I glued each set of stars together back to back with string between.  The strings are glued into the birds beak. I didn't think ahead to leave the beak unglued!  It was pretty easy to separate the fabric as the glue wasn't fully set and tuck the strings in place.  

I hope you've had a great 4th of July!!! 

Happy creating!
-judy


Supplies:
Spellbinders® MMM-001 Artisan X-plorer®
Spellbinders® MD2-011 Birds One
Spellbinders® S4-092 Stars Five
Worn Denim
Navy Star Fabric
Red Vinyl
Natural Canvas
String - red, white
Elmer's Painters Markers - White, Black
Beadalon Artistic Wire - 20 gauge Bronze
Black Craft Foam
Cardboard
Beacon Adhesives - Fabri-Tac™
Fiberfill

2 comments:

Quietfire said...

lol! LOVE this!

Margie Higuchi said...

OMGosh, he is just so stinkin' cute!!!