Today, I have a mini book to share.
This little book had its start at CHA. Whenever there was a tiny lull in booth traffic, I would try some of the new die templates that I hadn't tried at home. I had been wanting to put together an art doll from Spellbinders S5-087 Mix'd Media Playtime ever since I saw the set! So I started with her and then decided to put her on a mini book.
Although the supplies were limited in the booth, there were a few unique products to try. One was Engraving Art Board from Royal Langnickel. That's what I used for the doll cut with Spellbinders S5-087 Mix'd Media Playtime, "create" cut with S5-084 Girlie Grunge Labels, and small star cut with S5-089 Home Sweet Home. This product has a black coating over a metallic layer. It cuts and embosses beautifully. A little sanding reveals the metallic color on all the embossed areas! So easy! I used copper but it also comes in gold and silver and several other colors.
The other product I tried was actual thin wood with a paper backing. I don't remember where this came from. Margie was so kind to tell me the wood paper is from Creative Imaginations!This cut well, too! I used it for the outer frame of the front cover and the back. The wood grain isn't too obvious on the front since I added ink to it.
Here you can see the grain on the back cover. I think it would take Distress inks beautifully. I only had pigment ink which is more opaque and didn't really stain the wood as I wanted.
The top edge was cut with a new die template from Spellbinders S4-359 Office Supplies designed by Becky Fleck. (My last post used the postage looking shape also from that set.) This die template cuts the holes and irregular edge on one side. I used it to cut off one end of the covers and pages that were cut with Spellbinders S5-077 Labels Twenty Five. I used a piece of copper wire from Artistic Wire to weave through the holes. It's not a very flexible hinge but I had to improvise! Besides, I like wire especially copper wire! Julianna was so kind as to let me have a piece!!! The front cover is actually a frame cut with #4 and 5 Labels Twenty Five. I cut a piece of DP to fit behind.
That's as much as I got done at CHA. I added the ART tiles, little black star, gear and verse at home.
The Scrabble like tiles were cut from black Shrink Plastic with copper StazOn inked through the die template. Those pieces are also from Spellbinders S5-087 Mix'd Media Playtime. Love how well the copper ink shows up after shrinking them!
The verse is a rubber stamp I've had in my collection a long time. It's by Wordsworth. I stamped it on glossy white paper with Ranger Archival Jet Black ink. Then I cut it with the rectangular shape from S5-098 Jewel Stones. Perfect size for this verse! I inked it with some Distress inks....not sure what colors I used!
The little gear was leftover from some other project. It was cut from copper color Craft Foil with one of the gears from S5-048 Sprightly Sprockets. I inked it with Archival Jet Black ink and then sanded it.
There are only 2 pages in this book. I've inked them to match the cover. As yet, I haven't added anything to the pages. I really should add some inspiring verses or some journaling!
Thanks for stopping! I hope you've enjoyed your visit!