Monday, May 10, 2010

Two Cards....Two Techniques

Today, I have a couple cards I created when I was designing a project for the Fond Memories Spring Workshop.  The stamp from Northwoods, Resting on Hammock P7420, is the same but the techniques are slightly different. 

On this first card, I used a watercolor palette and waterbrush to color the image which is stamped on watercolor paper.  I chose to keep the colors soft.  The whole image is visible as I simply trimmed around it and distressed the edges a bit. It's layered onto a white mat.  I can't remember the company for the plaid paper.  The verse is from Penny Black's Transparent set "bubbly" 30-012.  I masked off the word "silly" at the end of the verse. 













The colors of the second card aren't quite as soft for a totally different look.  I used watercolor paper again with a watercolor technique using water based markers.  I applied some color with a marker, or sometimes 2 colors of markers, into each area.   Then I used a waterbrush to move the color and fill each area.  It's an easy technique especially because there's no need to mix colors.  Yet, colors can be blended by using several different marker colors. The jeans have a touch of gray along the hammock, then blue and I didn't put any marker color on the point of the knee.  When I used my waterbrush over the colors, all the colors blended yet the knee remained lighter.   On the canoe I colored the shaded areas only with a gray marker.  I pulled the color with my waterbrush over the rest of the canoe......instant shading. The trick is to apply the marker to the areas that you want darkest, then move color to the lighter areas.
By using a frame created with Spellbinders Labels Twelve cut out of a square piece of Bazzill paper, the focal point is narrowed more to the hammock. I stamped the pail and wicker bag separately, cut them out and glued them over the frame.  The verse is from AMuse. Green paper is from Imaginisce's Live Out Loud line.

Either of these cards would make a great Father's Day card!  Or even a guy's birthday card.  A great choice for a fisherman!

Enjoy!
-judy

No comments: